Life & Style blog of a Seattle artist, hairstylist, and social media pro

Five Tutorials For Styling Shoulder Length Hair

I always see lots and lots of style ideas and tutorials for long hair (in fact you can find some in this blog post if you’re a long haired lady!), but what about those of us with chin to shoulder length hair? I often find myself stuck in a hair rut, styling it the same one or two ways every day. I’ve been scouring the internet trying to find easy to follow tutorials for medium length hair, and they seem to be few and far between. Especially since my computer is on it’s way out and really objects to me trying to watch videos. The frustration that comes along with trying to watch a video is just not worth it to me, so I’ve been looking for photo/text tutorials which are even fewer and further between. However, I found these five, which I’d like to share with you. Hope this helps any of you ladies out there who find yourself in the same situation that I’m in!

This cute and easy updo incorporates a headband – Kate used a fake braid which I love, but you could also use a plain headband or something else fancy. Read how to do it here: Simple Little Updo for Short Hair @ Scathingly Brilliant

A french braid style take on the milkmaid braid for those of us who don’t have enough hair to wrap around around our heads a gazillion times. Read more here: Two Minutes, Two Styles @ Treasures and Travels

I absolutely love the look of this “Simple Gibson Tuck”. There is a video tutorial you can watch, but my computer hates me, so I can’t watch videos right now. Luckily she also gives a text explanation of it, and it can be done with long or short hair! Find out more here: Simple Gibson Tuck @ Sara Lynn Paige

Adorable messy beehive. Carrie has longer hair, but I think this can easily and intuitively be adapted for short hair. Find out how to do it here: Carrie’s Messy Beehive Tutorial @ Wish Wish Wish

And this twisted style from The Beauty Department is pretty self-explanatory by the photo alone, but you can read more here: Short Stuff @ The Beauty Department

Do you know of any great styling tutorials for short/medium length hair? Feel free to share them in the comments below!

By Kelsi Eldredge

14 Responses to “Five Tutorials For Styling Shoulder Length Hair”

1. Great ideas! Thanks for sharing, I’m going to try some of these as soon as I get home :)

2. Emily Baker says:

me and you both girl! I’m in the process of growing my hair out still. i want to get it down past my shoulders! (had a pixie cut before) anyways! need to stop being lazy and try some of these out!

• kelsismellsi says:

I’m trying to grow mine out too. I’d like to get it past my collar bones. It hasn’t been that long and healthy in over 10 years!

3. thaumatropes says:

You are doing God’s own work here. I’ve never had hair much past my chin (and much shorter in the back, usually) in the past… IDK, maybe fifteen years? I’m growing it out and it’s juuust above my shoulders and driving me crazy! I keep wanting to cut it off but I grew it out so I could put it up, and I nearly wept with joy when I discovered that two of the above actually work on my hair and stay put. I tested them out last night/this morning. That double twist is amazing and so fast. I’m going to try it with spin pins and see if I can make it even sturdier, since my hair is pretty thick.

Also, I long for milkmaid braids and am pants at french braiding my own hair. That idea with the braided headband BLEW ME AWAY, especially since I sometimes give myself headband curls and it never once occurred to me to try that. Off to buy a braided headband tonight…

Thank you for finding these. And for not getting videos! I understand why video tutorials are popular but I much prefer them to be a supplement instead of the main material.

• kelsismellsi says:

I’m glad you found this post useful! Spin pins are awesome, I discovered them not too long ago. And I know, I thought Kate’s breaded headband idea was a stroke of genius too. I have yet to go get one, but it’s on my list. Please feel free to share this post with anyone else you think might like it :)

4. JJjesstar666 says:

Thank-yoooooou! my chin length hair ends up in a tiny ponytail everyday but some of these ideas actual work on me! :)
    I have a very messy double twist in right now :)
    I much prefer pictorial tutorials vs videos – Then I can keep refering to the picture :)
    JJxx

• kelsismellsi says:

Same here, videos tend to annoy me. There is either too much talking or I have to rewind and fast forward through parts of it, egh. I’m glad that some of these are working out for you! :)

5. These are great. I usually try something that ends up using a billion bobby pins. I need variety!

• kelsismellsi says:

I know how that goes. I have found that if I use hair pins instead of bobby pins I can usually hold more hair in each and get away with using fewer though ;)

6. Mia says:

Great tutorials! I can’t wait until my hair gets even that long, I can only barely put it in a ponytail right now. :)

• kelsismellsi says:

Aw, you should be able to do some twists and pin them. I can do that with my hair when it’s too short to put in a ponytail :)

7. Melissa says:

Thank you these are fab! I have just done the milk maid style and it was super easy and I love it! I am going out tonight so thanks again! ;)